"Mar not my face......"



Near the entrance to a cave on Crantock Beach near Newquay, a woman's head and a horse are carved into the sloping rock face, along with four lines of verse. Sometime in the 1920's a young woman on horseback became trapped in this cave by the swift incoming tide, and tragically both she and her horse were drowned. So distraught was the young woman's lover that he carved this permanent memorial to her, though no trace of her name seems to remain.

"Mar not my face but let me be
  Secure in this lone cavern by the sea.
  Let the wild waves around me roar
  Kissing my lips for evermore."

I have been going to Crantock Beach all my life, but I did not know of this carving's existence until this summer.

A little splash of colour to brighten up these dismal days.......is the weather as bad where you are?

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder

Rare Disease Day and the promises of personalized medicine

O ur daughter Ellen wrote the post that I republish below 3 years ago, and we've reposted it in commemoration of Rare Disease Day, Febru...