Ah, such glorious weather this week......

On Tuesday I drove to one of my favourite beaches, Polly Joke near Crantock.


As soon as I had learnt to drive when I was 17 this was somewhere I loved to go to be alone, sometimes with a good book or sketchbook and pencils in hand. There are no buildings in sight from this beach, no cafe, no toilets, only a small car park a five minute walk away but hidden in the valley. All the surrounding land is owned by The National Trust and so will thankfully remain unspoiled, hopefully forever. It was this particular stretch of the north Cornish coast, from West Pentire to Polly Joke, that the author Winston Graham most frequented when writing his Poldark novels, and where he imagined Nampara, the home of Ross and Demelza, to be located. I was so homesick for Cornwall when studying my Textiles degree at Winchester School of Art that I read all 11 Poldark novels back to back. They transported me back to the places I loved so much.

Today - Sunday lunch at Halwyn!

The hot chocolate is to die for - choose either plain choc or mint choc chip, with whipped cream and a malteser on top!

Organic bacon and cheese in a granary bap, with lovely crisps and a salad full of berry fruits (Strawberries, blueberries, grapes, raspberries) and home-grown salad leaves and cherry tomatoes. Yum! Have I mentioned the three different kinds of salad dressing and two varieties of fruity pickle?

The lovely couple who run Halwyn Tea Garden completely renovated the old farmhouse they now live in. It really is a blissful spot at the end of a dead-end track (deemed 'Not Suitable for Motors'), with the most wonderful views over the River Fal and the only occasional sound: the chugg chugg of a boat engine as it glides along far below.


Walking back after lunch through the woods the dappled sunlight was beautiful; glimpses of sparkling water through the trees, the shrieks of children actually swimming in the river!

I promised you some pictures of the creek with the tide (almost) in......






Sublime stillness

Do hope the sun has been shining on you too today and it has recharged your batteries for the week ahead. x

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder

Rare Disease Day and the promises of personalized medicine

O ur daughter Ellen wrote the post that I republish below 3 years ago, and we've reposted it in commemoration of Rare Disease Day, Febru...